Dear Prince of Peace Parishioners:
- Please pray for our sister parish St. Gabriel on the patron Feast Day - Wednesday, September 29 – Feast of Archangels Michael, Gabriel and Raphael. Archangel Gabriel had many different roles as a messenger of God; among several events in the Bible, the most memorable one is the Annunciation – God’s message to our Blessed Mother, Mary. who was chosen to be the Mother of Jesus, the Son of God.
Perhaps, the parish feast day this year truly prepares us for what is to come: Next Friday is the beginning of the month of October, reminding us of the month of Respect for Life. As a people of faith, we value the gift of Life – from conception to natural death and in fact, next weekend, we join with our Church to pray for this gift of Life and the “Freedom to choose Life” and “Religious Freedom” with a Novena (9 days) in this effort.
- In today's first reading from the Book of Numbers 11:25-29, Moses had earlier complained to God that he could not provide for Israel in the desert all by himself. To alleviate the situation, God promised to confer Moses' prophetic spirit on 70 elders. Even though Eldad and Medad were not present in the camp when God conferred Moses' spirit, they still received the gift and began to prophesy. Moses is pleased that the spirit of prophecy is shared with those not immediately present in the first commissioning of the elders.
The Gospel passage from Mark 9:38-43, 45, 47-48, there is a certain irony about Jesus' explanation of the disciples' action in trying to stop the foreign exorcist. In Mark 9:14-29, the disciples, themselves, fail to exorcise an unclean spirit from a young boy and are sharply rebuked by Jesus. Now they want to restrain a successful exorcist simply because he is not part of their own group.
The issue is clearly not whether the exorcist is acting in the name and power of Jesus, but whether he is part of their own chosen establishment. The exclusivist attitudes of the disciples are exposed for all to see. The disciples need to nurture the gifts of generosity and graciousness.
- Religious Education registration is in full bloom this last few weeks of September, please remember to register your children and youth members for continue learning and developing as they advance in age and wisdom in their Faith Life. Especially, sacramental catechism for First Reconciliation and First Holy Communion, Confirmation (begins in the 7th grade or at age 12) and Adults who are interested in Learning and becoming Catholic (R.C.I.A – Rite of Christian Initiation of Adult). Please see Faith Formation Parish Website for registration information or call parish office.
- Also, different kind of Ministries to the people of God at Prince of Peace Parish Community need new members as well. Please look into your heart in prayer and ask … How God’s calling you to grow this year and respond to a ministry that’s meaningful and challenging for you at this time. Please call the Parish Office for more information.
- Please pray for all members of the Society of St. Vincent DePaul who will be celebrate their patron saint feast day on Monday, September 27. Especially, to all the members of Vincent DePaul Council at St. Gabriel Parish who founder is the patron saint to all charitable societies. Like the admirer of St. Vincent, Blesses Frederic Ozanam who established St. Vincent DePaul Society in 1833, the volunteers at St. Gabriel continue this good charitable work in the spirit of St. Vincent right here in our parish community.
Fr. Phuong Hoang